Bitcoin address: 14KqRoSne8MH1hV2os83FoUXTJmV4tMeC9

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Paleo Spinach Balls




My mom made these spinach balls at Thanksgiving several years ago that were *amazing,* I couldn't get enough of them. Unfortunately, they weren't something I could take with me into paleo land.

Until now...

Paleo Spinach Balls:

-2 10 oz packages of frozen, chopped spinach, drained and patted dry.

-1 small onion, finely chopped

-1 cup nut flower/meal (I used 1/2 almond and 1/2 sunflower seed)

-1 tsp each....

...oregano
...basil
...marjoram

-1/2 tsp sea salt

-1/2 tsp garlic salt

-1/4 tsp black pepper

-4 eggs

-3/4 c melted coconut oil (or another oil of your choice--melted butter, if you're feeling frisky, would probably be the ideal)


Mix spinach, onions, and dry ingredients together. Then add melted coconut oil and eggs, mix until well blended. The result should be a moist but cohesive ball of "dough." Roll 1 1/2" balls (about the size of walnuts), and place on ungreased, non-stick cookie sheet. Place in fridge for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 F, and bake for about 20 minutes.

Makes about 32-34 balls.

Awesome as appetizers or party food.

~Losterman

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these! They look just like the spinach balls we used to make with stuffing. You are a paleo-genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm allergic to eggs. Could I use flax for the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I don't know a lot about flax, Meg--does it create good viscosity? The eggs are in there as a binder. I'm not sure what else might fill that role...possibly oil, I guess? Or even almond butter? Maybe some sort of starch (e.g., tapioca starch)? I dunno, really, I lean pretty heavily on eggs. If you try it with any of these, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete